Monday, December 1, 2014

compleanni

I must admit that I was not thrilled at the idea of spending my birthday here in Genova, away from friends and family, and knowing we were leaving on a ten day trip the very next day at 7:00 am. But I knew I would be with Holden and Dave and my Italian family, so I woke up ready to face the idea of turning 36. We had made no plans prior to my birthday and had sort of already celebrated in Rotterdam and Toscana, so I was not expecting much. We had a nice relaxed morning and then a surprise party with the students and the Italians for lunch. Cristina made a delicious chocolate cake and Holden helped me blow out the candles.

birthday party
cake


After lunch, Dave and Holden decided to take me to Bocadasse, the nearby beach and fishing village. On our way to Bocadasse, we stopped in Piazza Ferrari and happened upon a chocolate festival and did a little chocolate tasting.

chocolates in Piazza Ferrari


Then we made it to Bocadasse just in time to relax on the beach and wade in the water and collect some sea glass before sunset. Then I was treated to a very nice dinner of pumpkin ravioli by Dave and Holden. So having a birthday in Genova was actually pretty great.

fishing in Bocadasse
collecting sea glass
collecting sea glass
Bocadasse

Bocadasse 
watching sailboats at sunset in Bocadasse


Then we were able to repeat the experience two and a half weeks later for Dave. We spent the morning walking around the centro storico and shopping on Via XX Settembre and then had another surprise party with the students and the Italians for lunch. Dave's cake from Cristina was pineapple, but Holden insisted that he and I also make a cake so we made a butternut squash cake that turned out to be so good. We also cooked his requested dinner, burgers, and had a second party of cake and chocolate after studio. I think Dave would agree that having his birthday in Genova wasn't so bad either (although he did have to work part of the day).

birthday morning coffee break in centro storico
birthday party

1 comment: